Category Archives: History

San Roque Ruins

 
Another stone ruins, made of coral stones, was identified and
documented by the team. It is located in Barangay Baukbauk. The ruin has a rectangular formation measuring 23 m x 11 m (Figure 22). The team was informed that the ruins were used as a fence in the early 1940s in manufacturing abaca (Musa sp.) for textile. At present, a chapel of San Roque, built in 1970s, is located inside the perimeter of the ruins. The area is situated beside the beach overlooking the island of Lapinig. Tradeware ceramics associated to the late 17th to 19th centuries CE and earthenware sherds were recovered at the site. The ruin was named San Roque (X-2008-Q3).

(Source)



Website:no website found
Facebook:no page found
Email:no email found
Landline:no number found
Mobile:no number found
Municipal:Balingoan
Barangay:Baukbauk
Address:no street address found
GPS Location:approx.
Add. Info:none

Micabalo Open Site

One open site located on the plateau overlooking Macajalar Bay
has been identified. The Micabalo Open Site located in Barangay Sta. Cruz was planted with corn (Zea mays L. Poaceae) at the time of the survey. It has geographic coordinates of 8°56’35” north latitude and 124°47’56” east longitude. Seven tradeware and earthenware sherds were recovered. A broken blue and white bowl may be associated to the 18th to 19th centuries CE.
Website: no website found
Facebook: no page found
Landline: no number found
Mobile: no number found
Municipal: Sugbongcogon
Barangay: Santa Cruz
Address: no street address found
Email: no email found

 

Lagbas Ancestral House

Lagbas Ancestral Home was built by Don Benedicto Lagbas, established in 1920’s.

(Source)

The interior of this house is amazing.


(Source)

In November, 1917 a certain Benedicto Lagbas, with some of his trusted lieutenants come to this place from Cebu (Sugbo). He found the place good for settlement. He converted some people from Camiguin, Cebu and some towns in Misamis Oriental to settle with him in the newly found abode. The place was found to have many cogon grass growing dominantly all over the area and the founder who came from Cebu of which the Cebuanos called it in their dialect as “SUGBO” and “cogon” . . . Sugbo ng cogon in one full name Sugbongcogon.

Website:no website found
Facebook:no page found
Email:no email found
Landline:no number found
Mobile:no number found
City/Municipal:Sugbongcogon
Barangay:Poblacion
Address:no street address found
KML File:
(use in Google Earth/Map Applications)
Lagbas Ancestral House
The Golden Route:4a

Santa Filomena church ruins


An Archaeological open site has been identified in Barangay Baliwagan,particularly at the abandoned Santa Filomena church ruins constructed in 1960.
The site is recorded as Filomena Open Site where a small
number of earthenware sherds and tradeware sherds were recovered. It has a geographic coordinates of 8°43’13” north latitude and 124°46’98” east longitude with an elevation of 12 masl. (Source)



Website:no website found
Facebook:no page found
Email:no email found
Landline:no number found
Mobile:no number found
Municipal:Balingasag
Barangay:Baliwagan
Address:no street address found
Add. Info:none

Old Brick Wall

Construction of the brick church (Sta. Rita de Cascia Church) is said to have started in 1892 by the Jesuits and finished in 1895 at the present location as the original wooden church near the coast was eventually destroyed by an encroaching sea. The lower level is made of bricks while the upper level made of wood. Two wooden belfries stood at the sides and three altars were installed.

During World War II, the guerrillas hastily burned the church because Japanese soldiers were stationed there. After the war, only the stone structure was left standing. (Source)

Blog about…
THE OLD BRICK CHURCH OF BALINGASAG:
Its Loss and Reconstruction
by “OldBulletsBiker”

Website:no website found
Facebook:no page found
Email:no email found
Landline:no number found
Mobile:no number found
Municipal:Balingasag
Barangay:Brgy. 3
Address:no street address found
Add. Info:none

The Vega House

According to the locals, it was build around 200 years ago and made primarily of one of the Philippines’ strongest molave tree. The design of the house is common of the 18th and 19th century houses but one thing that makes this unique and notable are the sculpted wooden men on the four outside corners of the house which looks like carrying the second floor. (Source)


(Source)

The Vega House is known as the Oldest Ancestral House found in the Municipality of Balingasag, Misamis Oriental.
What’s the most interesting fact about this ancestral home is the sculpted wooden man supporting the second floor structures that will make you feel nostalgic about vintage memoirs.
According to the town folks, this ancestral house belongs to the family of the late Maria Clara Vega Jimenez, the mother of movie personality “Inday Badiday” and Philippine Daily Inquirer Editor-In-Chief Letty Jimenez Magsanoc. (Source)

Website:no page found
Facebook:no page found
Email:no email found
Landline:no number found
Mobile:no number found
City/Municipal:Balingasag
Barangay:Brgy. 5
Address:no street address found
KML File:
(use in Google Earth/Map Applications)
The Vega House
The Golden Route:4a

Karaang Jasaan (Church Ruins)

The ruins are located on top of the hill overlooking Macajalar Bay with an average elevation of 52 masl. The area is locally known as
Karaang Jasaan (Old Jasaan).
It was believed that this was the original settlement of the people in Jasaan before they transferred to the present location in Barangay Poblacion. The site is a complex Spanish structure composed of a church (single nave with courtyard), belfry, and another ruin located in the eastern side of the church. The church has a dimension of 50 m x 46 m. Its courtyard is 14 m x 15 m. The belfry has a hexagonal shape located nine meters from the northern side of the church entrance. The separate ruins found 52 m east of the church is recorded as X-Ruins. The X-Ruins has an L-formation with measuring 12 m x 9 m x 14 m. (Source)

Website: no website found
Facebook: no page found
Landline: no number found
Mobile: no number found
Municipal: Jasaan
Barangay: Aplaya (Sitio Cota)
Address: no street address found
Email: no email found

 

Kota na Bato

Kota na Bato (fort made of stone), former name was ‚Baluarte‛. This ruins are located beside the Cagayan de Oro – Butuan National Road and inside the property of Carmen Zayas. The ruins have a concave formation made of coral stones. The wall has an approximate thickness of one meter. (Source)

The kota
With the arrival of Muslim scholars from nearby Indonesia, the native Filipinos were introduced to the concept of the Kota or fort. The Muslim Filipinos of the south built strong fortresses called kota or moong to protect their communities. Usually, many of the occupants of these kotas are entire families rather than just warriors. Lords often had their own kotas to assert their right to rule, it served not only as a military installation but as a palace for the local Lord. (Source)

See also Karaang Jasaan

Website:
Landline:
Mobile:
Municipal: Jasaan
Barangay: Aplaya
Address:
Email:

WWII Tunnels

There are 5 identified tunnels in Tagoloan, which are believed to have been used during World War II.
According to the locals, these tunnels were allegedly used by the early Tagoloanons as hideouts to protect themselves from Japanese soldiers.
The 5 tunnels were recorded in Barangay Natumolan, namely:
U Tunnel, Tunnel #2, Skull Tunnel, Nanay Tunnel, and Nagangga Tunnel. (Source)

Website:
Landline:
Mobile:
Municipal: Tagoloan
Barangay: Natumolan
Address:
Email:

Save

Molugan Ruins

The Molugan Ruins  is located on top of Molugan Hill. The ruin has a square formation made of corals and currently covered with vegetation and modern garbage. Initial analysis indicates that the ruins were probably used as a watchtower during the Spanish Period. (Source)

Website:
Landline:
Mobile:
Municipal: Opol
Barangay: Luyong Bonbon
Address: Molugan Hill
Email: